Sunday, June 1, 2008

Quest for 100 - My boxing weekend


Well it all started out innocently enough. I wanted to hit 100 before the end of the weekend. I only needed 9 stamps. I called my boxing buddy up real late Friday night / Saturday morning to tell her that a new box was planted and we needed to go on a midnight run. And sure enough we were off.We retrieved the box by flashlight and I was down to 8. Saturday morning rolls around and I was off. Armed with clues I set out. I was after a box set by Lock Wench. Perched on a log over a stream, I almost fell in when my cell phone rang telling me I had a message from JBBK. Then as I was laying on the log, searching for the box, I got attacked by a muskrat the size of the Taco Bell chihuahua. I stayed dry, and nobody was injured. Moments later I noticed a pepperoni sized spider crawling on my arm. Lock Wench had guarded this box too well for me to find this trip. I found another box near by and was down to 7.
I found the next box without issue and was off to a preserve with 2 boxes in it. I found the first and was up to 95. As I headed for another Lock Wench box I flushed 3 grouse that decided to make a bee line for my head. I ducked out of the way and was safe, for the time being. Further up the trail though I encountered 2 nice sized wild turkey. They decided to chase me for about 50 yards through the woods back up the trail. I found the box, and ended the day with a count of 96.
Today I met up with Red Barn Photos and we found a box leaving me with just 3 to go. I was able to find the next two without a problem. Then I got lost on the strange roads that are the back roads of Central New York. So with a cell phone that was cutting in and out, I called for re-enforcements. I called JBBK, in Indiana, and she was able to Mapquest me out of Limbo and back to civilization and on course to my next letterbox.After a history lesson, a lot of photos, and some searching I stamped into my 100th logbook. And it just happened to be....... a Lock Wench plant. What an amazing weekend. And after dinner, my boys and I are going out for ice cream, and 3 letterboxes that were just planted!

No comments: